30 Days to Improve your Photography (Week 2)

30 Days of Composition - Week 2 

Having completed the first week's challenge in 30 Days of Composition I was keen to see what the next compositional prompts would be. If you don't know about this challenge see my previous post here.


I am working through this challenge in the month of August while taking part in the A Year With My Camera photography course. It is a great way to improve your photography skills, why not take a look and see what you think?

The list of composition prompts for the next 7 days are below:



9.   Odd numbers
10. Balance
11. Pattern
12. No foreground
13. Circular
14. Form/shape
15. Texture


9. Odd Numbers
Photographs where the subject appears an odd number of times are more appealing to the eye than even numbers, they bring more balance and have more energy. 

10. Balance

This is not an easy prompt, what exactly is balance? Maybe there is a balance between light and dark areas, of contrasting colours or textures. I hope I have achieved balance with my image of the flower and bee in terms of colours and areas in and out of focus.


AYWMC, A Year With My Camera, photography, photographic composition
Days 9 - 11

11. Pattern
Natural or man-made patterns can be used here. I saw an old tortoise with this amazing shell and simply loved the pattern and detail. Cropped so you can see only the shell, it could be interpreted as desert mountains seen from the air!

12. No foreground

Usually the subject of a photograph is positioned closer to the middle than at the very foreground of the frame. I enjoyed experimenting with this and placing my subject at the front with the background falling away. The greens and browns of the mosses and lichen on this damp Lake District wall filled the lower part of the photo with the misty fells behind.



AYWMC, A Year With My Camera, photography, photographic composition
Days 12 - 15


13. Circular
There are circles to be seen everywhere if you look closely. Flowers, pebbles, a bowl of food, clock faces etc. Framing just the circle and leaving out distracting elements can be very effective. The photo I took is an artwork by Olafur Eliasson, currently exhibited at the Tate Modern in London until 5th January 2020.

14. Form / shape

A weekend in the Lake District helped me with these next two prompts. The shape of a new fern with its uncurling fronds was the perfect subject. The image is all about the form / shape of the subject.

15. Texture

Interesting textures can give life to images, do you want to reach out and touch the object of the photo? These damp mosses and lichens on old gate posts spotted on a wet walk in the Lake District were soft, velvety and spongy to touch.

Now I'm all geared up for the next week's challenges, watch this space...


See the next week's challenges here.

PS. post you images with comments below if you want to have a go too. 

Comments

Popular Posts