30 Days to Improve your Photography (Week 1)

30 Days of Composition - Week 1

If you are new to photography or have been dabbling with images for a few years, but never had any training, then taking part in the free 'A Year With My Camera' course could be just what you need to improve you photographic eye.  During the month of August there is a daily challenge to produce an image with a particular type of composition.  I am working my way through this challenge and here are some images that I hope fit the brief.

If you fancy trying the same challenge why not have a go yourself and comment with your favourite images below. I am posting my images daily on Instagram (@inthepix) with the tag #30DaysOfComposition and am not concentrating on any specific topic, just whatever I see that day that can fit the format.  These images are mainly shot using my phone as I have that with me most of the time.  Handy when inspiration hits while I'm on my lunch break...

The first 5 days are:
  1. Viewpoint
  2. Framing
  3. Negative space
  4. Diagonals
  5. Rule of thirds
AYWMC, 30 days of composition, photography, challenge
Days 1 to 3
Viewpoint
Here I took an image from a different point of view, looking up from below on a lamppost near work on my lunchtime walk.

Framing
Doorways, a mirror frame and a reflected doorway all frame the subject in the mirror.

Negative space
The sky in this image forms the negative space around the top of the Blavatnik Building at the Tate Modern art gallery in London.

AYWMC, 30 days of composition, photography, challenge
Days 4 and 5
Diagonals
This is a different representation of diagonals to the one I posted on Instagram, however it represents the composition with the silhouette of flowers in my garden against the sunset sky.

Rule of Thirds
This technique is one where you mentally divide the frame into a 3x3 grid (9 small squares) and where the grid lines cross is where you position the subject of the photo. In this image the person was walking through a fog exhibit at the Tate Modern (part of the excellent Olafur Eliasson exhibition).

The next three techniques are:

6. Leading Lines
7. Symmetry 
8. Fill the Frame  

AYWMC, 30 days of composition, photography, challenge
Days 6 to 8

Leading lines
This technique is clearly one I don't naturally use because I found it difficult to create a suitable image. The lines of the grasses show the way to the pair of dragonflies (if you look closely).

Symmetry
Yet another technique that I struggled with. I haven't quite nailed it with this shot but I know where I went wrong...

Fill the frame
This was an easy one for me as it is a technique I often use. I love photographing flowers and filling the frame with their incredibly beautiful shapes and colours is something I love to do.

Tomorrow I get the next set of prompts for further daily techniques to try.  I'll update the blog when I have these images or you can take a daily peek at my Instagram feed.

Week 2 of the challenge can be found here.



Comments

Popular Posts