Covent Garden, Commuting and Christmas

Three days in Covent Garden

Last week I had the chance to experience the life of a commuter in London, spending three days working in the Covent Garden area of central London, while staying in a hotel in the Earls Court district, west of the city.

I had selected the hotel based on cost and the fact that I could travel in on the Piccadilly underground line direct to Covent Garden so the journey in should be easy. However, Transport for London had issues with trains on the Piccadilly line and the commute became much less straightforward, involving delays, changes to other underground lines and a variety of routes!

Commuters on the District line
I sampled the District and Circle lines, the Piccadilly line and the Central line - all at peak commuter times. What an eye opener.  At first the District line train was busy but not manic but a few stations further on we were packed in like sardines.  People were having to let trains go without attempting to get on board simply because there was no room to squash any more people in.

Earls Court underground platform
Fortunately it seems that most people keep themselves clean - it got very hot in the tube with so many people but it remained reasonably fragrant. Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to get off the train and out of the station!

Sign at Covent Garden underground station
One main observation I had was that there are two main activities to enjoy while commuting, looking at your mobile phone or sleeping, incredibly no-one speaks to their fellow travellers, apart from an 'excuse me' when trying to squeeze through the throng to get to the door when it's your stop.

What commuters do

Covent Garden is a fun area to be based.  There is the big market area, beautifully decorated for Christmas.  There is culture galore to be found, opera, ballet, theatre and plenty of lovely shops to explore. Unfortunately, since I was working, I didn't get much time for shopping so no Christmas presents were bought. But still the atmosphere was fun and there was a buzz of excitement.

Covent garden deliveries
Covent Garden deliveries

After work I explored some of the area around West Kensington and Fulham near to my hotel.  There are some strange things to see like this foyer below!

Strange things to see in London

The Christmas lights were very impressive around Covent Garden, with huge baubles hanging from the rafters in the market and mistletoe garlands across the streets.  An enormous Christmas tree dominated the market area.


Covent Garden Christmas tree

Covent Garden apple market

Christmas decorations in Covent Garden
















On the final day of my visit my iPhone broke, the home button stopped working, luckily there was an apple store in Covent Garden so I popped in there and was well looked after by a couple of the staff. It was an impressive store, busy but very well staffed and the guys I spoke to were extremely friendly and helpful. Thanks.

Christmas in Covent Garden

 
Christmas lights on the Strand
After all this I'm feeling a lot more festive and very glad that I don't have to do that kind of commuting to my usual place of work.

Christmas lights on Sicilian Avenue

Comments

Popular Posts